POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : verres1 file plus photons : Re: verres1 file plus photons Server Time
1 Jun 2024 03:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: verres1 file plus photons
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 25 Sep 2019 15:24:53
Message: <5d8bbf05$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.5d8ba2e7aa028214839d843b0%40news.povray.org%3E/

> Regards,
> Norbert Kern

I'll not be able to reasonably play with this scene on my little
machine, but...

1) If you ran v3.7-stable, there are some photon fixes in the current
v3.8 master branch.

2) There are dozens of solver related fixes in my v3.8 master based
branch at:

https://github.com/wfpokorny/povray/tree/fix/polynomialsolverAccuracy

which likely help some - but you'll need to build a custom version.
Secondary rays are more sensitive to solver accuracy issues. Your light
sources are relatively close to the objects so you are probably not
seeing the worst issues discussed at some length toward the bottom of
github issue:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/pull/358

and exposed by shooting photons from afar.

3) I see polygon objects in the puz2 union. These won't have a well
defined inside / interior. I'm unsure what happens when an interior is
later defined for a collection of shapes including those. Maybe as a
union and not a merge it can kinda work? The sor objects are also open
so though those have defined interiors possible in some cases where
photon rays see the tops or bottoms photon directions won't quite be
right. Doubt this the reason for graininess though.

4) The size of some of the shapes in puz2 especially a bit small so
might be seeing some lost intersections. Scale scene up - a little (not
too much - see (2) pull #358 comments for why) ?

5) I've seen odd results where the light intensities are >1 with
photons, but never had time to run down what is going on - suspect maybe
the gather mechanism making bad choices / bad radius choices, but
guessing. You've got this >1 intensity set up, but no idea if your
tripping the same issue(s).

Otherwise, not sure. If you do play with any of the options above beware
it might be you end up suddenly with many more photons deposited at your
current spacing.

Aside: I've never played much with stored photon files. How many
deposited photons do you have with/in that 16GB photon file?

Bill P.