POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRAY.ORG is 25 years old today : Re: POVRAY.ORG is 25 years old today Server Time
18 May 2024 14:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY.ORG is 25 years old today
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 Aug 2019 18:06:55
Message: <5d5b1d7f$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/19/19 2:43 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Op 18/08/2019 om 15:22 schreef Chris Cason:
>> It was 25 years ago today (18 August 1994) that I registered the
>> POVRAY.ORG domain.
>
> Congratulations! And thanks for that years-long dedication to POV-Ray. I
> don't think there are many projects that have survived so long without
> failing. I came to know POV-Ray around 1997 iirc, looking for a serious
> raytracer (I started with Breeze Designer) and I have been hooked ever
> since, also thanks to the enthusiasm of the POV-Ray team and - last but
> not least - that of the many users. I have always been struck by the
> particularly friendly atmosphere of these newsgroups and the ready
> helping hands willingly extended. Without forgetting to mention the
> great art that was generated thanks to POV-Ray!
>
> Even if activity has slowed down lately, I sincerely wish a healthful
> next 25 years to POV-Ray. Up to the 50th anniversary! (even if I shall
> not live to see that one) :-)

Agree. Well said.

On the activity slowing suppose that true on povray.org, but ray tracing
itself is more active than ever in my opinion:

August 19, 2019 (POV-Ray gets a brief mention)
    http://www.realtimerendering.com/raytracing.html

and much which used to show up primarily on povray.org or the old
irtc.org site is still happening, but elsewhere:

July 17, 2019 (Yep, wonder if she worked around a real bug...)
   Ray-Tracing Digital Elevation Data in 3D with Povray (Part III)
   http://shallowsky.com/blog/mapping/DEM-data-in-3d.html

July 21, 2019
   Why Povray is great.
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJo_P9mHFd8

I think too, many of us that use POV-Ray as a tool day to day for
whatever, don't post most of what we're doing anywhere. It's a solid
tool I know reasonably well that I enjoy sometimes mangling for my own
ends.

Bill P.