POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PC nausea : Re: PC nausea Server Time
2 May 2024 18:51:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PC nausea
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Aug 2019 03:04:21
Message: <5d47d4f5$1@news.povray.org>
Op 04/08/2019 om 14:40 schreef Bald Eagle:
> I found Rufus to be helpful when burning sticks - looks like sometimes I've used
> MagicIso and VirtualCloneDrive and ... IsoProx(?)
>
> But I got the strong whiff of bad things with the pathologically overzealous
> push to Win10, and that just got me to start seriously exploring options for
> software, services, and operating systems that don't charge me money to "update"
> my system, lock me out when I don't pay (rent), spy on me, steal and sell my
> data to 3rd parties, and use their ill gotten gains to make the world a more
> miserable place.
>
> So, no M$, Facebook, instagram, twitter, amazon, google, I try to use video
> services other than YT, etc.
>
> If simply installing an OS can make you physically ill, then I'd delete it and
> never look back.  I'm guessing that a monitor issue may just be the tip of the
> iceberg.
>
> Caveat emptor
> Mice only fall for the trap because they don't understand why the proffered
> goodies that they desire are "free".

Amen.

I do not share completely your dark view. It is a user's choice to share
his/her (private) life with the world at large. Otherwise, one is fairly
safe imho. Of all the services you mention, I do not use any one except
Microsoft as my OS, and Google through the filter of Startpage on
Firefox (plus the necessary addons for privacy), not to mention a high
end virus/malware checker or two. I can assure you that not much is
going out from here (or going in for that matter) without my knowing it.

However, a calculated risk is part of life. When I go out on my bicycle
or my car, I am at the mercy of whatever my happen without my will or
knowledge. ;-)

--
Thomas