POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : From POV-Ray to Python : Re: From POV-Ray to Python Server Time
18 May 2024 10:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: From POV-Ray to Python
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Jul 2019 10:14:23
Message: <5d2b38bf@news.povray.org>
Le 14/07/2019 à 15:20, Joost a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I was curious for some general help. I've built cityscapes in POV-ray for 2D
> images a decade ago. With the new possibilities of 3D printing I was thinking of
> making 3D models of cities the way I used to do in POV-ray for 2D rendering. As
> it seems complex and a lot of work to go through POV-Ray to STL, I was looking
> into scripting in Python with Blender. Does anyone have any experience with
> that? Is it possible to code objects in the same manner as in POV-ray (apart
> from the differences in programming language of course)? Or are there
> limitations to what can be done in Python? Any experience/tips?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Joost

If you are interested in STL from povray object, as long as that object
is solid (aka, with a defined interior) and finite, there is two patches
to combine from hg-povray to make you happy.

1. tesselation (turn 3D finite object in a mesh)
2. save mesh as stl: stl_save

http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron/tesselation

http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron/mesh

So far, the generated STL is WITHOUT colour information.
(two standards is a bad idea for STL)