POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 : Re: Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 Server Time
1 May 2024 17:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 22 Mar 2019 14:43:48
Message: <5c952ce4$1@news.povray.org>
Le 22/03/2019 à 18:09, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
> On 2019-03-22 12:45 PM (-4), Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> Le 22/03/2019 à 16:35, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
>>
>> Are you running in local, directly on the linux pc's keyboard & screen ?
>> (or via a remote connection such as ssh ?)
>
> I'm just using my laptop.
>
>> If local, are you running in console or X11 display ?
>
> I'm using Konsole.  Whether that means console or X11 I don't know.

Ok, as elsewhere you talked about xclock, it's X11 (mouse & graphic),
not a bare console of pure text.

Good.

>> you can disable preview (hence the need to open the X display) via
>> command line switch : -d
>>   as well as ini file: Display=Off
>
> I don't want to disable the preview.  I do expect the OS to allow the
> software to work properly.
>
>> As you upgraded, it is possible the old cookie remains and is no more
>> valid for the new server (such cookie is in a file in your home, a
>> hidden dot file, and is created by the logging process but ONLY if it
>> does not exist). Basic test: find the cookie file, nuck the cookie file,
>> disconnect, reconnect.
>
> What would be the name of this file?

Have a look there:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37157097/how-does-x11-authorization-works-mit-magic-cookie

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37157097/how-does-x11-authorization-works-mit-magic-cookie

For my system:
- cookie file is ~/.Xauthority
- it was created at the day and hour I logged in.
- it contains a single entry for my display.

jerome@krynn:~$ xauth list
krynn/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  c81a816f0a1c24bcc3dce3aed7d8c746
jerome@krynn:~$ ls -l .Xauthority
-rw------- 1 jerome jerome 50 mars  22 17:16 .Xauthority
jerome@krynn:~$

Notice the rights on the file: User only. As stated in first line of
answer, mess with them and you are in for a party of problems.

you can use xauth as interactive command interpreter, as in the provided
link, by calling it without parameter.

It will show the location, then wait for commands like:
* list
* info
* quit

good luck.