POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Fwd: Stack Size Testers Wanted : Re: Fwd: Stack Size Testers Wanted Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:11:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fwd: Stack Size Testers Wanted
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 18 Feb 2019 09:08:58
Message: <5c6abc7a$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/17/19 6:41 PM, William F Pokorny wrote:

>> IIRC there was a use case for a `polynomial` primitive that needed an
>> order of 16, and Jerome decided it would be nonsense to increase it by
>> 1 just to wait for the next use case to require an order of 17; so he
>> went ahead and increased the limit to something that was not totally
>> arbitrary. 35 was a natural choice because above this threshold the
>> `binomials` array of constants would overflow the data type on some
>> machines (32-bit `unsigned int`).
>>
>> If we want to use a lower maximum order, 19 would be a logical choice,
>> as it's the threshold at which we could change the datat type of the
>> `binomials` array from `unsigned int` to `unsigned short` to save some
>> memory.
>>

> Thanks for the background. I'll put it on my list to look at what 19
> would give us performance wise.

Same test set up as before; setting MAX_ORDER to 19.

+wt1
14.25 -> 14.14 ---> -0.77%

+wt2
14.31 -> 14.16 ---> -1.05%

+wt3
19.11 -> 18.79 ---> -1.67%

+wt4
22.90 -> 22.35 ---> -2.40%

For my own day to day use I plan to hard code my working POV-Ray version
to 10 (sphere_sweep) as that's the largest needed for other than user
coded polynomials as far as I know.

Bill P.