POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.1 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.1 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 21:31:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.1
From: clipka
Date: 10 Feb 2019 22:39:47
Message: <5c60ee83$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.02.2019 um 00:30 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> For the inside test as used by the object pattern, it's as if an
> internal structure/mechanism is corrupted in the freetype branch once
> there is more than one character in the text string.  Once a
> "text-union" is necessary internally(1) perhaps?

That doesn't convince me at all. Remember, all we're using FreeType for
is constructing prisms at parse time; if FreeType were to screw up, it
would manifest as control points being out of whack, which should also
show in regular scenes. (*)

This is not what we're seeing; instead, the problem is specific to
situations where insideness tests are performed.

Single-character and multi-character test objects do indeed differ in
one important aspect, namely that single-character text objects are
instantiated as pure prisms, whereas multi-character text objects are
instantiated as unions of prisms.

I may have screwed up the way the prisms are assembled into a union -
maybe I forgot to call some important post-processing step - and I
wouldn't be too surprised if this manifested in insideness tests getting
messed up. Reference to parent object not getting set, maybe?

ATM I'm busy with other stuff; I'll look back into this issue if you
don't beat me to it.

(* The only other thing how FreeType could conceivably screw up without
immediately showing in regular renders would be by getting the
"handedness" of the prisms wrong; and as a matter of fact I'm aware of
one issue that can lead to glyphs getting flipped "inside out"; but the
"a" is not a candidate for this issue - it is more likely to be
associated with glyphs that have mirror twins.)