POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled : Re: X Windows display: disabled Server Time
27 Apr 2024 00:49:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: X Windows display: disabled
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 2 Feb 2019 23:57:26
Message: <5c5674b6$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/2/19 12:16 PM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 10/16/18 5:54 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>
> Playing some with your current hgpovray38 (45eb09ed7) with the thought
> Issue 2)
> I'm also attaching an image from the x11 option. I three times got
> something like it where one block didn't update. On the first two
> POV-Ray core dumped on closing the window/program exit. On the last -
> for the attached image - POV-Ray closed the display (used +p) on
> detecting but the POV-Ray process itself didn't exit. Wasn't burning any
> CPU, it was just hung and I had to use the kill command from the command
> line.
>
> If I get some time next week I'll see if I can a debug compile to hang,
> crash or both for more informatino. I had no trouble with SDL2 windows.
> Ubunut 18.04 - same set up as you as far as I know.

Not a compile with debugging, but had another hang at the very end with
+p. I used cntl-c this time to try and exit the hung process. Got
messages a little different though not sure if of much more use:

==== [Paused... Press p to resume] ====================================
Press p, q, enter or press button 1 over displayed image to continue...

POV-Ray finished

^Cterminate called after throwing an instance of
'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::lock_error>

 >'
   what():  boost: mutex lock failed in pthread_mutex_lock: Invalid argument
/home/pokorny/bin/pJG: line 21: 26191 Aborted (core dumped)
/run/shm/tmpDir/tmpUser/MyJG/bin/povray $@

Reminded again of :

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/142

though I've not seen any hangs in your code as yet with sdl2 previews -
just x11 thus far.

---
The usual exit - where no blocks left 'un-displayed?' - and a cntl-c is
used instead of (p, q, enter or mouse 1) at the end normally shows:

==== [Paused... Press p to resume] ====================================
Press p, q, enter or press button 1 over displayed image to continue...^C
povray: received signal SIGINT: Interrupt; requested render cancel

POV-Ray finished

---
On the windows opening only on certain screens have found in further
playing the sdl2 and x11 options will both use my second screen if the
width is such that it fits on screen 1 but not screen 0. In other words,
both options seem to look for a screen size where the preview image will
fit if the first screen looked at isn't large enough.

Bill P.