POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Calling an Image Map with an array identifier that stores the image file na= : Re: Calling an Image Map with an array identifier that stores the image fil= Server Time
17 Apr 2024 20:43:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling an Image Map with an array identifier that stores the image fil=
From: clipka
Date: 3 Dec 2018 23:41:16
Message: <5c06056c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.12.2018 um 02:06 schrieb Kenneth:

> I think the "\n" line feeds are necessary to even see the #debugged message;
> there is an older post about how the absence of them causes the message pane to
> ignore #debug...sometimes ;-) The details were somewhat complicated, IIRC.

In a first approximation, the details are actually quite simple:

- Any `#debug` statement that does not end in a `\n` will be
concatenated with the next one.

- Any `#debug` output after the last `\n` may be truncated.

> Note: Up to (and including) version 3.7.0, contrary to the documentation (and on
> all platforms) backslashes lost their special meaning where a file name is
> expected, except when preceding a double quote. For backward compatibility, this
> behaviour is still retained for scenes specifying a #version of 3.70 or lower,
> but a warning will be issued.
>
> ---
>
> The only remaining mystery for me is whether or not a line feed "\n" should use
> a forward slash as well; I don't see that distinction in the docs.

No, the "use forward slashes instead" rule only applies to filenames;
the change was made /specifically/ so that `\n` is always interpreted as
a line feed (as opposed to a path separator followed by the lowercase
letter `n`).