POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug report: a different coincident-surfaces problem : Re: Bug report: a different coincident-surfaces problem Server Time
17 Jun 2024 06:04:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug report: a different coincident-surfaces problem
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 12 Nov 2018 23:12:46
Message: <5bea4f3e$1@news.povray.org>
On 2018-10-30 5:56 AM (-4), clipka wrote:
> Am 30.10.2018 um 04:58 schrieb Robert Munyer:
>>
>> Question 2:  If this is not a bug but a problem in the scene file...
>> Suppose that Bar and Baz were written by different authors; which one of
>> them is responsible?  Was the author of Bar supposed to avoid coincident
>> surfaces, even though he was just unioning some untextured solid objects?
>> Or conversely, was the author of Baz supposed to perform an audit of the
>> structural details of the objects that he was differencing, just in case
>> one of them might have its own subcomponents that have coincidences?

You should see the machinations I went through to avoid coincident
surfaces in RoundEdge in the Object Collection.  Also in the Object
Collection, the GemCuts user manual has a warning that setting objects
(in contrast to gem objects) are not intended for use with transparent
textures.  The reason is that I made no attempt to eliminate internal
surfaces, but with that comes a high likelihood of hidden coincident
surfaces.  Now you have me wondering if I should include a warning not
to difference that Tiffany solitaire setting from... uh, a clay
impression?  A Styrofoam box?

> That's really a legal question, and therefore outside the scope of these
> newsgroups; you better consult a lawyer about this. All I as a layman
> can say is that as far as I am aware, there is nothing intentionally
> inherent in POV-Ray or its terms of use that would imply one or the other.

Object Collection submissions are under the LGPL license, and my other
independent submissions are under the GPL.  I've also submitted
modifications and supplements to POV-Ray distribution scene files, which
are covered by Creative Commons.  All these licenses have explicit
warranty disclaimers.  So, the user's problem, not mine.  :p