POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9861167 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9861167 Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:00:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9861167
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Oct 2018 02:40:46
Message: <5bd013ee$1@news.povray.org>
On 23-10-2018 18:14, clipka wrote:
> Am 23.10.2018 um 08:40 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>> On 22-10-2018 23:33, clipka wrote:
>>> It doesn't matter whether you use `#declare` or not; what really matters
>>> is whether there are actually rays shot at the isosurface during the
>>> render.
>>>
>>> So a `#declare`d isosurface that is never actually inserted into the
>>> scene will never get a warning.
>>>

>> @ clipka and Bill:
>>
>> I am probably totally misunderstanding something, but I attach here a
>> simple scene of the Kluchikov Ring with a on/off switch between a
>> 'declared' and a 'non-declared' isosurface. The 'non-declared' one
>> shows a max_gradient warning at the end of the render; the 'declared'
>> one does not.
>
> You are aware that the two isosurfaces are not identical? They differ in
> the max_gradient setting.

Correct. My bad. Both max_gradients should be 0.75 (or what ever).

> Not that it would make any difference though - I do get a warning for
> both of them.

I do not. I only get a warning when the isosurface is /not/ declared.

> Did you double-check that you're really seeing what you think you're
> seeing?

Yes, absolutely!!

> What version of POV-Ray are we talking about?

v 3.8.0-xtokenizer.9844488+av609.msvc with Win7

You are right (of course you are right!): I had not yet used the alpha
version 3.8.0-alpha.9861167+av620.msvc14.win as I thought they were more
or less identical. It shows the warning for both cases indeed. I had not
been aware that the case had been solved in between. Thanks!

Phwwww..... That was close! I am glad I do not have to put myself under
psychiatric treatment after all ;-)

[where are my dried frog pills...?]

--