POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Some more RAM : Re: Some more RAM Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:03:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some more RAM
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 Oct 2018 11:46:31
Message: <5bbf7057$1@news.povray.org>
Le 11/10/2018 à 13:59, dick balaska a écrit :
> On 10/11/2018 03:35 AM, Le Forgeron wrote:
>> Le 11/10/2018 à 03:17, dick balaska a écrit :
>>
>>> (Oh, and thanks Canonical/gnome for moving the close button from the
>>> left to the right side. My muscle memory doesn't mind *that* at all.)
>>
>> I do not know your window manager, but you can choose the place of every
>> buttons of window by going to the preference panel/window manager, style
>> panel and edit the buttons (on the right of the theme list)
>
> There is no such option in gnome.  Gnome is very rigid (technically it
> doesn't even support xscreensaver. Blank Screen is the only screen saver
> you want.)
>
> Even worse, app menus used to be in the screen title bar, a la Mac, and
> they moved them back to the app window.  So now there is this 1920x80
> window at the top of my screen that has an icon telling me my ethernet
> is connected; has a button that is an alt-tab trigger; has a button that
> is a ctrl-alt-delete trigger and a digital clock.  What a waste and I
> can't turn it off. I swapped so my "primary" monitor is over yonder, let
> it waste the screen real estate with big fat nothingness.
>
> This version broke alt-tab.  It used to be if I delayed while moving
> over firefox, it would expand all of my firefox windows and I could
> select one.  Now I have to press down arrow while still holding alt to
> expand the firefox windows.  Just painful.
>
> And the task bar now has glaring issues too.  Ugh, just painful.
> I wonder if there is a path to upgrade from ubuntu to kubuntu. I like KDE.

I leaved gnome when they went to 3 and broke everything including my
widgets, and installed xfce, lighter, less control-freak:

https://linuxconfig.org/install-xfce-desktop-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MImuJljHTz4

Last month, I turned the top bar into a side bar, but that's personal taste.