POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Some more RAM : Re: Some more RAM Server Time
29 Apr 2024 02:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some more RAM
From: dick balaska
Date: 10 Oct 2018 21:17:10
Message: <5bbea496@news.povray.org>
On 10/10/2018 08:52 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> This week I upgraded from 8GB of DDR3 RAM to 16GB of slightly faster
> DDR3 RAM. I did this because in the past I had trouble rendering
> Datsville (depending on what features I had enabled or disabled).
>
> This was probably stupid

maybe only partially stupid.  Doubling to 16GB is way more than worth it.

> because now I am faced with the problem that
> the rest of my computer is not powerful enough to /design/ Datsville
> (mostly because of graphics card issues).

I feel your pain there.

I wanted to add a third monitor.  Except to add the video card, I'd have
to upgrade the power supply and I'm not into spinal cord surgery on my
main workstation.

(I am just finishing updating from Ubuntu 16 to 18 (brain surgery).
tomcat isn't working, I'm sure there are still others.  But this was my
next step towards trying to get df3tools running.)

(Oh, and thanks Canonical/gnome for moving the close button from the
left to the right side. My muscle memory doesn't mind *that* at all.)

> Oh well. At least I have enough RAM now to run more than one virtual
> machine in VMware.

16GB > 8GB :)

--
dik