POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : SUGGESTION: Avoid Thermal Shutdowns : Re: SUGGESTION: Avoid Thermal Shutdowns Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:11:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SUGGESTION: Avoid Thermal Shutdowns
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 7 Oct 2018 10:51:11
Message: <5bba1d5f$1@news.povray.org>
On 2018-09-16 12:13 PM (-4), Sven Littkowski wrote:
> POV-Ray already offers Render Priority and Duty Cycles, but apparently
> that was not enough.

Note: Render Priority does not throttle; it only prioritizes.  It does
absolutely nothing if POV-Ray is the only program running; and based on
the fact that you brought it up in this context, even when other
programs are running it does far less than you probably think.

> The problem is, that I am located here in the
> tropical Caribbean, and because of Global Warming we're getting insanely
> high temperatures in the shadow: over 43°C! The air temperature adds to
> the inner temperature of the laptop. Using already "Background" for
> Render Priority and "10%" for the Duty Cycles, it is still not enough.
> Thus my suggestions here:
> [snip]

Here are some suggestions that don't involve waiting for a version of
POV-Ray that will probably never happen:

Cheap, easy suggestions:

- Leave lots of air space around your computer; even *under* it since
   it's a laptop.

- Keep a fan blowing directly on the computer; it makes a difference.

- Have an external heat sink installed.

Expensive, possibly impractical suggestions:

- Get an air conditioner.

- Make sure you're using an Intel CPU.  Intel has better heat
   management than AMD.

- Move to a smaller island, where the trade winds are more effective.
   While temperatures have been creeping up noticeably here in the
   Virgin Islands, 43 degrees is unheard of.  Plus, if it ever becomes
   necessary, I can refer you to an entrepreneur here who does hard
   disk recovery.