POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled : Re: X Windows display: disabled Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: X Windows display: disabled
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 6 Oct 2018 13:39:05
Message: <5bb8f339$1@news.povray.org>
Le 06/10/2018 à 12:04, William F Pokorny a écrit :

> Glad to hear you are making progress.

And at the current state, I learn that libsdl (1.2 and 2) is not thread
friendly, it wants (nah, requires) that the thread that make the display
and pull event to be the MAIN thread (and not another child, even if
alone to make the calls)...

But it's working with libsdl2. As a kludge so far.

> ---
> We have too this lockup issue I stumbled across while looking at an
> earlier one:
>
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/142
>
> Not SDL1.2/2 really I guess, but suppose related some to pausing and how
> the code is set up. Looks like I should have posted a follow up to that
> issue in that I didn't have success in creating version of code that
> locked up more routinely. I put my effort to fix it on the shelf for later.

Well hidden in libsdl2 forum, the constraint on thread for video and
event (the internal pump is only run by main thread, no pump, no event
to get out).

> So many of my grand POV-Ray ideas fall to the reality I'm still lousy at
> C++, autotools, et al - even after significant study. :-( Ten year rule
> to really get good at anything I guess. Good news is I have only 7 or 8
> years to go...

People spend 3 years in school and think they can program... until they
find a real job and it shows them they do not know yet how to program.

> Sadly, I'm now too old for this route to quick C++ proficiency:
>
> https://abstrusegoose.com/249

Which C++ ? 03, 11, 14, 17 and I believe 20 is already on the road.