POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature Request: optical distortion : Re: Feature Request: optical distortion Server Time
26 Apr 2024 12:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request: optical distortion
From: clipka
Date: 5 Oct 2018 14:11:50
Message: <5bb7a966$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.10.2018 um 19:20 schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 05/10/2018 à 11:10, IGM a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> I suggest to implement the excellent work by Clemens Rabe:
>> http://www.clemensrabe.com/computer-vision/pov-ray/simulation-of-lense-distortion
>> about the new camera type with optical distorion.
>>
>> Optical distortion modeling is increasingly important due to modern artificial
>> vision studies and applications.
>>
>> After several searches, I didn't find much about this feature in Pov-Ray. If I'm
>> wrong and this feature is yet implemented (or in program) I apologize.
>>

> I see a patch for 3.6,1 but what is the license ?

IANAL, but by default it can probably be pressumed that the code is
placed under the v3.6 POV-Ray license.

Which means we can't simply copy the work, because the licensing terms
and conditions aren't compatible with the AGPL used by POV-Ray v3.7.
We'd have to contact the author to re-license his portions of the code
under AGPL-compatible terms and conditions.

As another note, it might be worth mentioning that POV-Ray already
supports several ways to achieve distortions beyond the standard pinhole
model:

- The `panoramic` and `fisheye` cameras are dedicated camera types
implementing distortions.

- Although not very widely known, a `normal` statement can be applied to
the camera to distort the image based on a pattern.

- The `mesh` camera introduced in v3.7 can be used to simulate arbitrary
camera projections, far beyond "simple" lens distortions (although it is
admittedly cumbersome to set up).

- The `user_defined` camera being introduced in v3.8 can also be used to
implement almost arbitrary camera projections, provided they can be
expressed as a set of functions mapping screen coordinates to ray origin
coordinates and direction vector components.