POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3 : Re: object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3 Server Time
18 May 2024 14:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3
From: Stephen
Date: 4 Oct 2018 13:38:43
Message: <5bb65023@news.povray.org>
On 04/10/2018 17:07, Kenneth wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>>>
>> Well here is my tuppence worth.
>> I think that it is the ratio of the rotations that makes 3 axes look
>> odd. in this animation the X axis rotates 3 times for one rotation of
>> the Z axis and the Y axis rotates twice.
>> The LH dice is rotating on 2 Axis, X&Y the RH one in all three.
>>

> I have to admit that they do look 'smoother' than mine.
>
> But to my eyes, it looks like the LH dice has 3-axes(!), and the RH dice *maybe*
> has only two(?). I'm seeing the LH dice 'reverse rotation' every now and then.

Ah! you spotted the deliberate mistake. Oops! :-(

You are right. Well spotted. :-)

> Could you post the respective clock rotations for both? I'd like to try them
> out.
>
> Did you use
> rotate <x,y,z>?
>
> Or something like
> rotate...
> rotate...
> rotate...
>
> ?

rotate <x,y,z>
But I created it in B3D which generates a separate pov file for each
frame (like Moray did) so I did not use the "clock" variable. When I do
modify a static file into an animation I don't use "clock" but
"frame_number.

> To your point about the ratios: Just conjecturing, I would say that keeping the
> rotations to set ratios (whatever thay may be) in order to get smoothness in the
> result, sounds like invoking "special rules"-- when the original cause of the
> rotations (the original impinging force in the 'real world') may not be so
> accommodating ;-)

True but that is why I mentioned that I try to make cyclic animations.
Quite unrealistic in the real world.

> The original applied vector force may have wildly different
> ratios for its 3 de-composed axis-aligned forces-- naturally resulting in
> different ratios between the 3 POV-ray rotation amounts. (OR two final rotation
> amounts, re: Euler???)

My thoughts were that the objects fell off a table/ledge and the
greatest rotation would be on the X-Axis with smaller rotations on the
other two.

> But as a *practical* matter, maybe you're on to something! At least the RH dice
> (die?) does *look* smoother.

600 frames in 10 seconds makes 60 fps which might explain it.

I will try and find the time to create a proper pov file using the
clock. Unfortunately I have had a series of family medical problems
ending last month with my wife having vertigo and falling and breaking
her hip. The hospital will not discharge her until they find out what is
wrong and it is safe for her to go home. Which makes me loath to start a
proper project where I have to think. {I have owed jr a couple of beta
tests of his df3 utilities, for some time. (I have not forgotten.)}
I do find this topic interesting and I did start to use Blender's Bullet
Physics to create a craps table. And see how it handled the rotations.
Incidentally if anyone wants the Mesh2 model of the dice. Just ask.
As for the gyroscope effect. Boom! there goes my head. ;-)

> My two-cents worth ;-)

My tuppence worth. :)

--

Regards