POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3 : Re: object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3 Server Time
5 May 2024 02:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object rotations in 2 axes vs. 3
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 3 Oct 2018 14:48:52
Message: <5bb50f14$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/03/2018 03:58 AM, dick balaska wrote:
> On 10/02/2018 08:34 PM, Kenneth wrote:
>
>> Long ago, I originally thought that a free-falling object needed all three
>> rotations to look natural. The idea seemed logical-- but the visual result
>> didn't bear that out (to my eyes, anyway.) I guess I could do a thorough
>> analysis of the applied 'vector forces' that cause an object to rotate in the
>> first place -- but that's a lot of work  ;-)  For now, I'm curious as to which
>> scheme you prefer, from a purely visual standpoint.
>>

> My caboose landing is a 2 axis rotation. I'm not sure why I didn't even
> try 3, that would have made sense.
>
> Your 3 axis, it looks like sometimes it changes direction while falling.

Is this due "gimbal lock?"

Just me echoing what I've read, but I think you have to go to use
Quauterions to avoid certain angle ambiguities.

was exposed to gimble lock on seeing a recent posting of yours. I've not
gotten to testing the thought or reviewing your code though - and
probably won't for a long while yet. Still occupied with solvers and
related numerical methods.

Bill P.