POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : grouping transforms into one final rotation? : Re: grouping transforms into one final rotation? Server Time
2 Jun 2024 01:31:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: grouping transforms into one final rotation?
From: clipka
Date: 17 Sep 2018 19:15:57
Message: <5ba035ad$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.09.2018 um 22:38 schrieb Kenneth:

> Maybe there's another syntax that I haven't thought of? Or could the problems be
> due to a transform being just a raw matrix(?) behind the scenes, with no way to
> extract x/y/z components?

Exactly that: There is no native syntax to get at the data in a
transformation matrix.

What you /can/ do though is shove the vectors <0,0,0>, <1,0,0>, <0,1,0>
and <0,0,1> through the transformation (using `vtransform()`), and from
that deduce all the matrix coefficients.

If you know the transformation contains no translation, the vector
<0,0,0> isn't needed as it is then guaranteed to transform to itself.

Once you know the matrix coefficients, using those to compute Euler
angles (presuming the matrix is a pure rotational matrix) would then be
the next step.