POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: <no subject> : Re: <no subject> Server Time
3 May 2024 08:48:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: <no subject>
From: clipka
Date: 16 Sep 2018 10:08:15
Message: <5b9e63cf$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.09.2018 um 13:03 schrieb dick balaska:
> On 09/15/2018 08:39 PM, clipka wrote:
>

>> (Well, to be honest I actually tested with "Got Here!\n" instad of
>> "Inside!\n", but I /think/ that shouldn't make much of a difference...)
>>

> You code strings in English?  I guess that makes sense rather than
> switch back and forth from keywords to text.

Dad was an English teacher at a Gymnasium, I picked up the language and
both speak and write it fluently (at least I imagine ;)), so yeah, why not.

Most POV-Ray newsgroups conversation happens in English, conversation
with fellow POV-Ray developers happens in English, POV-Ray source code
comments, variable names and message strings are in English for obvious
reasons, the POV-Ray inbuilt help is in English, the best C++ reference
documentations are in English, the authoritative C++ standard is in
English, the language keywords are in English, Siggraph papers are in
English... anything POV-Ray related is all English, so indeed doing
anything in German in between would be added effort. Heck, when I'm
having a potty break during POV-Ray development, I wipe my ass in English ;)

I'm one of those people to which dealing with English as a foreign
language is not a matter of converting to and from their native
language, but switching to a dedicated operating mode. English is, quite
literally, second nature to me.

As a matter of fact, even when I write software for my own purposes, I
tend to use English mode for it these days; somehow it feels more natural.

When I'm making notes for fantasy role play games, I'm torn between the
two modes, because source material is often in English but the game
sessions are in German. That kinda sucks.