POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : hurricane woes : Re: hurricane woes Server Time
18 May 2024 04:13:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hurricane woes
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 15 Sep 2018 21:16:44
Message: <5b9daefc$1@news.povray.org>
On 2018-09-11 09:37 AM (-4), dick balaska wrote:
> On 09/11/2018 06:48 AM, Kenneth wrote:
>> "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>

>> I'm worried about flooding-- not from the ocean swells etc, as there are beach
>> sand berms between me and the water-- but from a fresh water lake only a few
>> blocks away. *That* flooded my area a couple of years ago, just from a really
>> bad days-long storm (a "nor'easter"). My house escaped that flood by a hair; I
>> may not be so lucky this time :-/
>
> Pfft!  We lost power for 17 days after Sandy.  Couldn't leave the
> neighborhood for 4 days.

Is this a contest?  I lost power for 122 days after Irma.  There were
people on the island who couldn't leave their *house*, let alone the
neighborhood.  I got a flat tire the day after, and couldn't get it
fixed for another week and a half.  Then *second* hurricane hit.  You
know the rest: the paper towels, undercounting of deaths, etc.

Is there a Puerto Rican on these newsgroups who can one-up me?

>  I was prepared, neighbors were not.  I have an
> elder with "needs" so I had the whole house running on an 8500 watt
> generator. (Now everybody has one).
> I set up a table with extension cord and coffee pot.  Charge your phone
> and have a cuppa.  The neighbors were impressed/annoyed to learn that
> the generator lugged down at 6am when I turned on the hot water heater
> for showers.  I thought I was so clever, then I realized that at $50 a
> day in gasoline, that's $1500 a month in energy cost.

We got a generator after Hurricane Marilyn (1996), but it seized up due
to disuse.  My sister flew a 2000 watt generator from the states, so we
could have refrigeration, lights, and some limited POVing; but at 2000
watts, any sort of heating was out of the question.  The toughest part
was keeping my father out of the damn refrigerator; we are in a
role-reversal state, and he has forgotten that we are not
air-conditioning the whole neighborhood.

> I was surprised to learn that clocks still use the wall 60Hz for a
> clock. Every clock ran 8 minutes a day fast. Even my coffee pot. I
> figured it's a computer, it has a crystal.

What???  That's quite an ASSumption on the part of the clock maker!  I
can't imagine any such clocks would be any more than useless around here.