POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : hurricane woes : Re: hurricane woes Server Time
4 May 2024 03:34:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hurricane woes
From: dick balaska
Date: 11 Sep 2018 09:37:42
Message: <5b97c526$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/11/2018 06:48 AM, Kenneth wrote:

> I'm worried about flooding-- not from the ocean swells etc, as there are beach
> sand berms between me and the water-- but from a fresh water lake only a few
> blocks away. *That* flooded my area a couple of years ago, just from a really
> bad days-long storm (a "nor'easter"). My house escaped that flood by a hair; I
> may not be so lucky this time :-/

Pfft!  We lost power for 17 days after Sandy.  Couldn't leave the
neighborhood for 4 days.  I was prepared, neighbors were not.  I have an
elder with "needs" so I had the whole house running on an 8500 watt
generator. (Now everybody has one).
I set up a table with extension cord and coffee pot.  Charge your phone
and have a cuppa.  The neighbors were impressed/annoyed to learn that
the generator lugged down at 6am when I turned on the hot water heater
for showers.  I thought I was so clever, then I realized that at $50 a
day in gasoline, that's $1500 a month in energy cost.

I was surprised to learn that clocks still use the wall 60Hz for a
clock. Every clock ran 8 minutes a day fast. Even my coffee pot. I
figured it's a computer, it has a crystal.

> The expected track for the hurricane's landfall keeps inching its way
> northward-- bringing the bull's eye closer! Egads.

It's looking like an odd duck too.  They're talking it makes landfall
and then parks 20 miles inland for 3-4 days and dumps 30-40 inches of rain.

Better you than me. :) :(

--
dik
Rendered 1024 of 921600 pixels (0%)