POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560 Server Time
28 Apr 2024 16:45:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560
From: clipka
Date: 31 Aug 2018 23:04:55
Message: <5b8a01d7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.08.2018 um 19:08 schrieb jr:
> hi,

>> Am 30.08.2018 um 21:38 schrieb jr:
>>
>>> is it ok to just make and copy the new executable into place, or have any of the
>>> supporting files (docs etc) changed too?
>> There's a caveat regarding the help file: ... `povray37.chm`.
>
> this is a for a Linux box.  :-)

Oops, I didn't see the "make and" there.

(*scratches head*)

I'd have to dig deep and embark on an extensive investigation to make a
reliable statement about this.

If you're talking about dropping the new executable into a v3.7
installation, then I would recommend against it. IIRC the Unix/Linux
incarnation wasn't designed to live piggyback on a v3.7 installation;
that's only done on Windows, because full-fledged installation is
difficult there.

If you're talking about replacing an existing v3.8-alpha binary with the
new one, that shouldn't be a problem.

>> I haven't gotten around to updating the v3.8 help file to the latest
>> Wiki contents yet, so it may be a bit behind.
>
> when you do, can you please add information regarding the new, relaxed upper
> limit for strings?  I found a few mentions of it [limit] not applying any more,
> but no number for the new limit.  also for the colour_map entry, iirc.

Sky's the limit now. Whatever fits into your memory.