POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : new speed : Re: new speed Server Time
21 May 2024 12:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new speed
From: dick balaska
Date: 24 Aug 2018 05:34:05
Message: <5b7fd10d$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/23/2018 02:33 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
>> I've noticed a Ghz decrease in my last couple of boxes.  From 3.4Ghz to
>> 3.0Ghz and now 2.8Ghz.  Certainly that will run "cooler".
>> The box is in the living room and is silent, as opposed to my i7 which
>> has dual fans that have a teeth-floating harmonic.
>
> Dual fans?

Dual fans here means actually three fans. :) One on the power supply,
one on the case, and one on the CPU.  All three are different speeds and
make for some irksome high frequency harmonics.

> Does it overclock?  Overclocking is a disqualifier for me; it
> increases the risk of frying the CPU without providing any long term advantages
> for a ray tracer.

Any overclocking I do is provided by official intel.  I.e. the new i5
overclocks itself. "turbo mode"

model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz
cpu MHz		: 3799.999

The thing has been running flat out for a week. I expected it to
slowdown when it got warm.

> But I can't live without my hyper-threading, so my next box will surely be
> another i7.

I don't know, man.  I like my i7, but this new i5 is *fast*.
I reran a scene and this is the number of frames that each contributed:

name    frames  % of total
        contrib
james	1275	32.93     # i5-8400 @ 2.8GHz (6 cores 6 threads)
cyd	789	20.38     # i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz (4 cores, 8 threads)
joe	701	18.10     # i5-7400 @ 3.0GHz (4 cores) (2017 box)
ringo	618	15.96     # i5-4460 @ 3.2GHz (4 cores) (2015 box)
liza	489	12.63     # i5-3330 @ 3.0GHz (4 cores) (2013 box)

That scene ran for 8 days and the new i5 was only up for 6 days. I'd bet
the next scene he gets close to 40% of the total work.

--
dik
Rendered 920576 of 921600 pixels (99%)