POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : new speed : Re: new speed Server Time
30 Apr 2024 18:47:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new speed
From: dick balaska
Date: 21 Aug 2018 07:38:51
Message: <5b7bf9cb$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/21/2018 07:08 AM, Le Forgeron wrote:

> Was this speed measured with povray benchmark ?
> Same binary ?

Same binary.  Not the benchmark, building frames for my animation.

> What about the memory speed ? (and CL values)
> Beware of the cache effect.

I don't care about any of that.  All I care is that POV-Ray finishes
twice as fast. :)

> From an old i7 measure (on i7-980X), thread without core are between 20%
> and 25% of thread with core, when rendering with 3.7.

Yes, I typically see around 20% increase in throughput with my i7 vs. an
i5.  It *can* float to near 100% on occasion, depending on what I'm
looking at.  One thing I always thought odd, my kitchen volcano scene,
where I'm looking at the floor (superellipsoid tiles with a box for
grout) the i7 is actually 5-10% slower than an i5.

(This floor: http://www.buckosoft.com/tteoac/video/frames/ttko0524.png )

> Not only the new generation is faster, it is also smaller and use less
> power. Yet no one wants to break the 4GHz barriers.

I've noticed a Ghz decrease in my last couple of boxes.  From 3.4Ghz to
3.0Ghz and now 2.8Ghz.  Certainly that will run "cooler".
The box is in the living room and is silent, as opposed to my i7 which
has dual fans that have a teeth-floating harmonic.

> (but on the other hand, the new generation has a backdoor on the
> network, even in suspended state and it cannot be closed)

um...

--
dik
Rendered 920576 of 921600 pixels (99%)