POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old threads : Re: Old threads Server Time
26 Jun 2024 00:04:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old threads
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jul 2018 11:27:47
Message: <5b574573$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.07.2018 um 11:45 schrieb Chris Cason:
> On 24/07/2018 19:14, clipka wrote:
>> Technically, the URL scheme could be shortened to
>>
>>     http://news.povray.org/<ID>
>>
>> without loss of information, provided that the leading `%3C` and
>> trailing `%3E` are retained as a pattern by which to recognize message
>> IDs and differentiate them from other links.
>
> You mean like this? http://news.povray.org/5b56ede4$1@news.povray.org
>
> It doesn't bring up the thread, but it does at least link to the message.

Um... yeah... I guess ;)

Now what we need is some elegant way to /get/ that link from any given
message.

> What I'm saying basically is that when this machine eventually has to be
> replaced and I replace the OS and everything with shiny new bits, it's
> likely the NNTP server will not be part of it and we'll migrate
> everything to some sort of standard forum software (or just keep the
> existing one without the NNTP link).

You mean the web interface without newsreader access?
That would be pathologically perverse. The only advantage of the current
system over a modern(!) web-based forum system I see is the newsreader
access. (Well, that and the vast archive of existing messages.) The web
front-end of the current system is maximally crappy by today's standards.