POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Keyboards & games : Re: Keyboards & games Server Time
9 May 2024 06:04:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Keyboards & games
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 22 Jul 2018 04:29:58
Message: <5b544086$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/21/2018 6:02 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 21.07.2018 um 07:51 schrieb dick balaska:
>> On 07/20/2018 11:18 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>

>>> I will add XPilot soon if you'd like. But do note that what you linked
>>> to is for German keyboards only!
>>>

>>> Mike
>>
>> Only is a strong word.  I don't know what keys are where on a German
>> keyboard [1] but those commands are exactly in the right place for my US
>> keyboard.  My guess is, at the raw key level, all western keyboards send
>> the same keys and then at a higher level 'y' gets swapped with 'z';
>> which is why software has to ask you what you have instead of it just
>> knowing.
>
> That is indeed the case.
>
> If for example you take a German keyboard, scratch off all the labels,
> and re-label the keys according to the UK standard, you have a perfectly
> fine UK keyboard.
>
> (It's not that simple to convert a US keyboard to a German or UK one,
> because the two differ not only visually but also mechanically, the US
> layout being based on the 101/104-key ANSI mechanical layout and the
> German and UK keyboards being based on the 102/105-key ISO mechanical
> layout. The primary differences are in the shape of the return key, with
> one other key placed differently as a consequence, and in the size of
> the left shift key, which is more narrow in the ISO layout to accomodate
> one more key. The English Wikipedia mentions a total of six different
> mechanical layouts in common use worldwide.)
>

> This actually makes it hard to build custom keypads with letters
> arranged alphabetically, e.g.
>
>      A  B  C  D  E
>      F  G  H  I  J
>      K  L  M  N  O
>      P  Q  R  S  T
>      U  V  W  X  Y
>      Z  .  ,  -  ?
>
> because the USB standard for keyboards does not deal in characters(*),
> just in keys. So if you designed the above keypad for the US market, a
> German user would instead find it producing
>
>      A  B  C  D  E
>      F  G  H  I  J
>      K  L  M  N  O
>      P  Q  R  S  T
>      U  V  W  X  Z
>      Y  .  ,  ß  _
>
> (*If you happen to know otherwise, please let me know.)
>

> The problem with games is that some deal with key codes, while others
> deal with characters.

You can see how I number the keys here:

US 104 Key
http://isometricland.net/keyboard/keyboard-diagram-key-numbers.php?sty=15&lay=1&fmt=0

DE 105 Key
http://isometricland.net/keyboard/keyboard-diagram-key-numbers.php?sty=15&lay=3&fmt=0

FR 105 Key
http://isometricland.net/keyboard/keyboard-diagram-key-numbers.php?sty=15&lay=4&fmt=0

I didn't know the PC/AT keyboard was different in the UK. Not sure what
to do in this case.

Mike