POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Restructured Parser wants Testing : Re: Restructured Parser wants Testing Server Time
5 May 2024 17:38:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Restructured Parser wants Testing
From: clipka
Date: 10 Jun 2018 16:13:35
Message: <5b1d866f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.06.2018 um 16:28 schrieb jr:
>> ... the new parser architecture, especially with respect to
>> the future plans.
>
> future plans sounds good.  will it lead to a "lint" type command-line utility
> for povray?  ideally made and installed as part of the regular build.  what do
> you think?
> (I didn't think it necessary to point out all the benefits of a lint :-))

I doubt it. Some lint-ish checks might be performed by the parser before
actually running the scene code (I'm primarily thinking balanced and
well-nested "starting/ending" constructs, such as parentheses, curly
braces and square brackets vs. block directives such as macros,
conditionals and loops), but writing an external tool would mean
duplicating some effort, and that's not going to fly with our current
manpower.

A command-line option to tell the parser to only do initial checks and
not actually run the scene code, that would be a viable possibility.