POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Restructured Parser wants Testing : Re: Restructured Parser wants Testing Server Time
4 May 2024 21:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Restructured Parser wants Testing
From: clipka
Date: 23 May 2018 11:26:58
Message: <5b058842@news.povray.org>
Am 23.05.2018 um 16:18 schrieb Stephen:

>>> This is going to cause me problems using SDL generated by modellers.
>>
>> Care to do some name calling?
>>

> Pal / Best friend. ;-)

Not exactly what I meant - I was rather trying to coax you into posting
the name of the modeller, thereby calling it broken ;)

>> Technically, those modellers would have to be considered broken:
>
> That seems fair enough.
>
>> To the
>> best of my knowledge, single backslashes as filename separators have
>> never been an officially supported feature.
>>
> By PovRay for Windows and/or for DOS?

Technically, that statement was true for all of them: I know precious
little about POV-Ray for DOS, so to the best of my knowledge... ;)

But I have to revert that statement now, having dug up an older
documentation:

In POV-Ray 3.0, according to those docs, backslashes in string literals
was only supposed to take on a special role when followed by a
double-quote, in which case the backslash would be discarded while the
double-quote would be interpreted as a character rather than the end of
the string. Interpretation of other escape sequences was considered not
a feature of string literals, but rather of user message stream output
(`#debug` and its kin).

> Significance is relevant. I have no idea how many people use B3D. And I
> can't remember if Blender outputs the directory separator as a "\" or
> "/". (I have stopped using it until some of the bug reports I have
> submitted, have been fixed.)

Yeah, I guess B3D qualifies as relevant indeed.

> It is possible to get B3D to export bespoke code. So we could set a flag
> telling the parser that the directory separator was "\".
> e.g. windoze_separator = true
> If that would help cut down the complexity.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Would you change B3D, or would you
change POV-Ray?

When it comes to ideal format in POV-Ray scenes, it is highly
recommended to always use "/" as path separator. Works on all platforms,
'Doze incldued.

> Which reminds me. I use that facility to overwrite the version number
> B3D exports by declaring it after the first one. Will that workaround
> still work?

Uh... please elaborate. How would the resulting scene file look like?