POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Official notice - user defined function VM data structures : Re: Official notice - user defined function VM data structures Server Time
26 Apr 2024 02:46:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Official notice - user defined function VM data structures
From: clipka
Date: 21 May 2018 14:41:03
Message: <5b0312bf$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.05.2018 um 18:37 schrieb E-mailyvo s gmx.net:

>> To the best of my knowledge there is not, and never has been, any
>> platform-specific code that does, or ever did, rely on these structures.
>>
>> If I'm mistaken there, please let me know.
>
> If I remember well, there was a JITC but only for the Macintosh version
> v3.6
> JITC for the PPC (G4, G5,…)
> Maybe that was the reason for it?

Sounds plausible, given that the comment was signed by Thorsten.

> Something someone should implement again for x86? ;-)

Well, there /are/ plans (somewhere deep in one of my drawers... wait, I
think it should be here... hmm... well, never mind, I'll eventually find
them...) to migrate the user-defined functions to a portable
well-established 3rd party VM, ideally one providing JITC functionality
on the most important platforms (read: LLVM)... some day, anyway.

First I gotta get this *%&$ parser ready for public testing of the new
scanner/tokenizer, and beat out the dents I've made in the process.