POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Non- exsistent object are white, but not transparent : Re: Non- exsistent object are white, but not transparent Server Time
19 Apr 2024 14:11:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non- exsistent object are white, but not transparent
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 26 Mar 2018 09:46:37
Message: <5ab8f9bd@news.povray.org>
On 03/26/2018 09:12 AM, stein wrote:
> I have a cone-like object as a Mesh2 object:
>
> https://imgur.com/a/5u1XC (picture)
> https://pastebin.com/aC5aQCg1 (textfile)
>
> and i would like to cut away the part which is positive in x and y. For this I
> am using an intersection with 3 boxes. The desired part is white, but not
> transparent.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/6htgs (picture)
> https://pastebin.com/q5fZnHqu (file with intersection)
>
> How do I force POVRay to look into the cone?

Somewhat of a guess, but CSG with meshes requires closed meshes that
also include an inside_vector (a direction vector) specification to be
able to determine what is inside vs outside. Your mesh appears to be
open at the top.

Maybe... you can do what you want with your open mesh if you specify an
inside_vector running parallel to the opening at the top and otherwise,
as usual for the inside_vector, NOT running parallel to any of the mesh
faces. Might not work too depending on other 'stuff.'

Another - likely more robust - option would be to close the top with
faces that are themselves transparent after which an inside_vector
should work without the extra top-parallel restriction.

Bill P.