POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : pattern blend : Re: pattern blend Server Time
30 Apr 2024 09:09:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pattern blend
From: clipka
Date: 12 Mar 2018 10:52:34
Message: <5aa69432$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.03.2018 um 14:23 schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> On 2018-03-09 04:27 AM (+4), Stephen wrote:

>>> I played safe as I was not sure if it would be displayed correctly.
>>> Apparently unfounded fear. :-)
>
> I find that special characters display correctly in the Web view only if
> I post via the Web view, but Thunderbird displays them correctly
> regardless of which software was use to post.
>
> It appears that if the original article uses ISO 8879 Latin-1 encoding,
> the Web software translates it to UTF-8, but then displays the
> translated sequence as if it were still ISO 8879, effectively
> translating it twice.
>
>> Luckily I know that Ali + 248 is °
>
> Numbers?  Who has the energy for number codes?  It's Compose * 0 on
> /real/ operating systems.

Who /needs/ number codes?

On /real keyboards/, it's simply Shift and the leftmost key in the
numeric row. :P

On /real keyboards/, you can even type stuff like 1 µm³ ("one cubic
micrometre") without memorizing anything fancy. It's all printed right
on the keyboard.

Oh, and although on /real keyboards/ the most common non-ASCII Latin
characters are of course äöüß and ÄÖÜẞ (*), there also isn't any need
for a Compose key to write ÁÉÍÓÚ, áéíóú, ÀÈÌÒÙ, àèìòù, ÂÊÎÔÛ
or âêîôû.

(Did you US folks know that we Germans have two more keys than you do?
Well, sort of - there's one additional physical key, and then our two
Alt keys actually do different things. Kind of like the Brits. Or the
French. Or the Spanish. Or the Portugese. Or virtually anyone except you
poor US sods with your pityful 101/104 keys :P)

(*Fun fact to know: As of a few months ago, the statement that the
German sharp s exists only in its lowercase form is officially no longer
true: The capital sharp S (which has been defined in Unicode since 2008)
has finally beed officially adopted into the German language; and at
least in Windows 10 using a /real keyboard/, it can be entered
surprisingly easy, albeit only 80% intuitive.)