POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : A Bit of Chess : Re: A Bit of Chess Server Time
26 Apr 2024 06:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Bit of Chess
From: dick balaska
Date: 14 Feb 2018 12:51:49
Message: <5a847735$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/14/2018 12:16 PM, greytery wrote:
> Last year I had some fun with POV-Ray animation. The main aim was to find some
> (any?) way to utilise my mini-farm of PCs.
> The main result of that time can be seen at: https://vimeo.com/242598466

Very nice!
I love the sparkle effect where the king is first captured. Very liquid-y.
I like the shape of the mass of pieces when first laying out the board.
I would have started them in the center back and expand left/right
instead of in the corner.

> The subject was chosen to fit a piece of music by a Heavy Metal band (they're a
> lot heavier than this piece). The Chess is NOT the greatest of contests but it
> fits. (No Chess experts please!)

Well, you did need a match that fits in 1:50. Someone has to make a dumb
move. ;)

> The render farm is a mix of i7/i5 PCs (and recently a couple of Ryzens).  At
> full tilt, that's pumping out over a kilowatt and perfect for a cool winter's
> day. The master (Gru) is Win10 while the clients run Linux Mint (the
> "Mintions").

Heh. Nice node names. How many boxes are in the farm?

  The home-brew render job management is a bit of Python using
> UDP(!!) over the gigabit LAN.

UDP huh? That's an interesting choice.

--
dik