POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Subsurface scattering : Re: Subsurface scattering Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:52:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface scattering
From: clipka
Date: 5 Feb 2018 12:34:04
Message: <5a78958c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.02.2018 um 13:56 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> For LEGO, should I just reuse the surface color for the transparency? Or
> something else, like white or black?

I guess you mean the `translucency` setting.

No, use neither the pigment colour nor black.

This is actually not a colour /per se/, but rather a value related to
the average distance a photon will travel inside the material before
being absorbed/scattered/both (can't remember the exact interpretation
off the top of my head), which can be specified differently for the
three colour channels (R,G,B).

There are no limits to the setting -- particularly translucent materials
might have values like <10,10,10> or even higher, while "dense"
materials might have values like <0.1,0.1,0.1> or even lower.

I'd start at <1,1,1> and see how it looks. If the material appears too
waxy, reduce the value. If it appears too "hard", increase the value.