POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paul Stamets Interview : Re: Paul Stamets Interview Server Time
17 Jun 2024 09:37:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paul Stamets Interview
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Dec 2017 15:26:05
Message: <5a32de5d$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/12/2017 13:54, Bald Eagle wrote:
> A human would elevated himself above the maze, use a mirror, or a drone, or a
> satellite photo.
> Slime molds are still blindly oozing through mazes millions of years later...

Have you read Flatland by "A Square"?
You are comparing a 3D entity with a 2D one. Hardly fair. Not that I
consider Slime Moulds intelligent. And thinking about it. All humans
intelligent at least going by their behaviour.

As Clipka said it originally meant:

> "Intelligence" derives from the Latin verb "intelligere" - to
> comprehend, or perceive.

What does it mean now?

Quire a few SF authors have talked the question. How can one intelligent
species recognise that a completely alien species is intelligent?
Look at termites for example. Their nests and mounds have
thermoregulation others have shelter tubes for transport and protection.
Are individual termites intelligent?

--

Regards
     Stephen