POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paul Stamets Interview : Re: Paul Stamets Interview Server Time
18 May 2024 19:42:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paul Stamets Interview
From: jr
Date: 13 Dec 2017 19:57:08
Message: <5a31cc64$1@news.povray.org>
hi,

On 14/12/2017 00:38, Bald Eagle wrote:
> jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> does it matter given the outcome's the same?  perhaps that (too) relates
>> to the point made that language constructs constrain.
> I would say it makes a big difference.
> There's a huge difference between a blind naive brute-force algorithmic approach
> that will arrive at a given endpoint when it's constrained by the input
> parameters to arrive at a given result, and an intelligent recognition of a
> solution to a given problem that can be formulated by an intelligence before
> even beginning to implement the solution.

but how can you be sure that "our" internal functions aren't simply
brute-force approaches?  I mean, we don't actually even see what's there
but only what the brain shows us, filling in "details".

our perception is orderly progress, begin to think about A, consider
components of A, and so on.  there's no telling though that that's what
actually happens.

> SDL is not intelligent.
> POV-Ray is not intelligent.
> The parser is not intelligent (just ask clipka!)
> The algorithm Thomas is using to arrange blobs in the form of a human is not
> intelligent.
> The people who write that code are.  (Don't hate me, Stephen!)  :)
> The slime mold example seems to be a Clockwork Orange.   There is no objective
> autonomy which consciously makes decisions of its own accord.   There is a
> programmed array of cells that are acted on by its environment and responds in a
> certain manner.
> There doesn't seem to be much more intelligence there than a liquid adopting the
> shape of its complex container, or a clock, or a GPS navigation system
> calculating the fastest route given current traffic conditions, or a
> supercomputer arriving at a programmed solution to a fluid dynamics problem or a
> finite element optimization of a suspension bridge.

so how does one define intelligence then?  the ability to surmount a
given challenge in the most cost effective manner?  seems to me that
much (all?) hinges on the language used.

regards, jr.