POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Frankenstein : Re: Frankenstein Server Time
27 Apr 2024 09:53:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frankenstein
From: clipka
Date: 13 Dec 2017 10:34:37
Message: <5a31488d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.12.2017 um 02:21 schrieb Kenneth:
>> Am 12.12.2017 um 11:11 schrieb dick balaska:
>>
>>> www.buckosoft.com/tteoac/
>>> Skip to 7:30 and see the blechy wood grain on the entertainment unit.
>>
>> Straightforward moiree effect. Patterns almost exactly matching the
>> render resolution are really hard for conventional anti-aliasing. Even
>> cranking up the anti-aliasing depth or threshold won't help a thing.
>>

> That's interesting and good to know. I've spent lots of time trying to eliminate
> those effects with extreme AA settings (to no avail)-- thinking that others here
> may have had some 'trick' that I didn't know about ;-)

"Brute force AA", aka rendering /all/ pixels at a much higher resolution
and then downsampling, would be an alternative.

POV-Ray tries to be smart and skip the oversampling in regions where
initial samples indicate that the region is uniformly coloured. But if
the initial samples are taken in a regular grid, and that grid happens
to coincide with the pattern frequency, regions may be erroneously
identified as uniform when they're not at all.

There's one other approach that works quite well in standard POV-Ray:
Use ever so slight focal blur, and use high-quality focal blur parameters.