POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : FOG with turbulence-- animation tests : Re: FOG with turbulence-- animation tests Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:53:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FOG with turbulence-- animation tests
From: Stephen
Date: 13 Dec 2017 04:22:03
Message: <5a30f13b$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/12/2017 03:13, Bald Eagle wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> I've actually never used a spreadsheet(!); never had occasion to do so. But I
>> can see that the idea would be useful.

You're missing out Kenneth. I generally have a spreadsheet for every big
project. At the very least it is something to keep my "workings out" in.
Including images, links, todo's etc.

> Oh c'mon.
> Next thing you know, you'll be saying "Oh wow - cool!  This radio thing is kinda
> neat...   and this internet thing...   !"
> :P

The wireless is kinda neat. I listen to it all day. :)

>> If I understand you're concept, I wonder
>> if some enterprising POV'er has previously come up with a way to put lots of
>> scene parameter values into a spreadsheet, then to apply those values (somehow)
>> to a POV-Ray scene, one 'group of values' at a time. As a suitably-correct .ini
>> text file or include file, for example.
>>
>> Or maybe I'm way off base :-O
>
> No, I've started experimenting with that, along with the other 100 things I have
> on my experimental to-do list.

I've done something like that but not for PovRay. It was for correlating
and formatting data in a form suitable for data upload into SAP as a
text file. It made heavy use of concatenate in one sheet* and that sheet
was saved using a macro.
I use Excel and Mr Google can supply lots of VBA code to copy.

* Excel spreadsheets (workbooks) can have multiple spreadsheets,
displayed as separate tabs.

> I had the idea that it would be useful to have calculated values for parameters
> and equations in cells, so as you wrote a scene, you'd see if there were any
> obvious problems before you parsed the scene and rendered it.

I think that is a very good idea and worth spending some time on. Add it
to your list below. ;)

> Tons of other things get in the way of having the free time to do that.
> Looks like any existing free time will be gobbled up soon.
> Details to follow in an off-topic thread.

Ooo!

--

Regards
     Stephen