POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A Proposal for XML POV : Re: A Proposal for XML POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Proposal for XML POV
From: Glen Berry
Date: 22 Mar 2000 00:35:13
Message: <5FXYOHEHEjo+gbG=hk5GnjyMADkN@4ax.com>
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:53:21 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>> > I think some of the changes being proposed
>> > jeopardize the ease of use I enjoy with the program
>>
>>         No, they don't.
>
>If I have to hand code XML then yes they do !

I don't think that Nigel ever encouraged people to hand code in an XML
format. Perhaps you have him confused with me?  :)

I started a thread on the IMP mailing lists about that sort of thing,
half-serious and half-joking. Later, I joined the thread you started
here and continued to advocate an XML script style.

Mainly, I wanted to see people's reaction to it, and possibly inspire
some people to think new thoughts. My personal intuition felt the
general idea of mixing POV and XML had some merit, but not being a
programmer, I wasn't sure what the details should be.

Nigel's ideas are definitely more advanced than my suggestions, and I
hope no one confuses what I said with something he said. I certainly
hope that everyone here takes his ideas seriously. I think they have
much merit to them.

Just remember, I was the person that suggested hand coding POV-XML,
not Nigel.

Later,

Glen Berry
IMP Communications Coordinator