POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emerald cut angles? : Re: Emerald cut angles? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 11:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emerald cut angles?
From: Stephen
Date: 13 Aug 2017 11:39:58
Message: <599072ce$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/13/2017 4:18 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> One would think that it would be easy to find data on emerald cut

[Snip]

> It still leaks, even though he calibrated his cut for an IOR of 1.54,
> which I imagine less forgiving than emerald's.  Is it possible to get a
> leakless emerald cut with a decent crown?  Or do they count on leaked
> light being reflected back from the setting?  Will light coming into the
> crown at an angle leak less, or at least compensate?  (I suppose I can
> find out if I budget more render time.)  Can someone channel Steve Paget?

I remember the time when people would shout at you for being on topic in
off topic. ;)

Looking at the site below. It looks to me that a 2D test will not
represent a 3D object very well as for the pavilion, the Break Facets
are rotated and not in the same plane as the adjacent Pavilion Mains.
Actually I get the feeling that you might need to do two or three
images. One for the Crown Mains with the Pavilion Mains and one with the
Crown Break Facets with the Pavilion Break Facets.
I assume that three angles are used in an emerald cut as opposed to two
for a  brilliant cut?

I've got a gut feeling that you need to do them separately.

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/lapidary-fundamentals-gemstone-faceting/

--

Regards
     Stephen