POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emerald cut angles? : Re: Emerald cut angles? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 11:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emerald cut angles?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 12 Aug 2017 23:20:40
Message: <598fc588$1@news.povray.org>
On 2017-08-12 11:18 PM (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:
>   emerald_specs-flat.png
>     Demonstrates the range of pavilion angles that contain the light
>     with a flat crown.
>   emerald_specs-near_flat.png
>     Any crowns steeper than this will leak light.
>   emerald_specs-shallow.png
>     A damn shallow crown.
>   emerald_specs-steep.png
>     And it doesn't get any better at steeper angles.

These are rendered with the light source slightly offset, because in
real life, lights directly behind us don't shine through our skulls.
The stones are tilted 45 degrees from the vertical, with the camera
positioned perpendicular to the table.

test_gemcuts-emerald-face.jpg
   Has the same cross section as emerald_specs-steep.png
test_gemcuts-emerald-near_flat.jpg
   Has the same cross section as emerald_specs-near_flat.png.  No light
   leakage, but it looks pretty pathetic.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'test_gemcuts-emerald-face.jpg' (13 KB) Download 'test_gemcuts-emerald-near_flat.jpg' (12 KB)

Preview of image 'test_gemcuts-emerald-face.jpg'
test_gemcuts-emerald-face.jpg

Preview of image 'test_gemcuts-emerald-near_flat.jpg'
test_gemcuts-emerald-near_flat.jpg