POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : #debug message problem re: line breaks : Re: #debug message problem re: line breaks Server Time
16 Apr 2024 01:01:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #debug message problem re: line breaks
From: clipka
Date: 18 Jul 2017 12:28:40
Message: <596e3738$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.07.2017 um 14:29 schrieb Kenneth:
> (Running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, and using v3.7.1 beta 9, but the problem
> may not be specific to it.)

The behaviour should indeed be unchanged since v3.7.0.

> * A SINGLE #debug with NO line break at the end does not show up in 'messages.'

Confirmed.

> * TWO #debugs without the ending line breaks: only the FIRST message shows up,
> not the second.

Cannot confirm this one: They both shouldn't show up, and that's indeed
what I'm seeing in experiments (things might be different if the length
of both messages combined exceeds a certain length).

> * With multiple #debugs, and no ending line breaks at all: the final message is
> always missing

Confirmed.

> * Any #debugs (with no ending line breaks) that follow one WITH a line break:
> the final message is always missing

Confirmed.

> * If only the FINAL #debug has an ending line break, all messages show up

Confirmed.

> * If ALL #debugs have ending line breaks, they all show up

Confirmed.

> In a nutshell, it seems that the final #debug statement in a scene file MUST
> have an ending line break, or there will always be a missing message.

To be more precise, everything beyond the very last line break in any
`#debug` message will be missing. The background is that the parser now
sends debug output to the front-end line by line, rather than `#debug`
statement by `#debug` statement.

There are various reasons why this behaviour was chosen: One is that it
reduces overhead when a debug message is assembled from small pieces
using multiple `#debug` statements; another is that since it guarantees
that each debug output ends with a newline, it plays nice with other
messages such as warnings and errors.

This behaviour has two known side effects, which still need to be addressed:

- Any pending debug output will be discarded when parsing ends (whether
successfully or due to an error).

- Certain styles of conveying progress information won't work at all
(e.g. "Reading CSV file.............. OK").