POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stacking stones without overlapping : Re: Stacking stones without overlapping Server Time
16 May 2024 22:03:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacking stones without overlapping
From: Stephen
Date: 20 Jun 2017 17:04:39
Message: <59498de7$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/20/2017 8:57 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 6/20/2017 8:08 PM, Ari wrote:
>>   I try
>> my best to understand them but I can't due to the lack of Maths
>> background(I
>> only know some integration/sequence and differentiation from
>> classes:(  ).
>
> You and me both. :)

So what I would do, knowing that most of the guys here have been using
PovRay for years and they are wizards at maths and programming. Is to
start simple then refine it as you go along.
The image you linked to was by someone who stuns everyone with his work.
So it is not a fair goal to try and do in a couple of months.

If you look at the trace function it will tell you how far away an
object is from a reference point. If you move that reference point in a
regular scan. You can build up a pattern of spheres. When you are happy
with that you can then add some randomness to what you are building.
Irregular scaling of the spheres to be laid down to give the impression
of stones. offset the trace reference point so the spheres don't stack
up in columns etc.
Then you will get ideas of your own to enhance it.

Remember us enjuneers have to make thinks work. And if it doesn't fit
use a bigger hammer. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen