POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stacking stones without overlapping : Re: Stacking stones without overlapping Server Time
2 May 2024 02:28:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacking stones without overlapping
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Jun 2017 15:00:08
Message: <59442ab8$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/16/2017 6:10 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> .... Sam used an external program,
>> he developed himself, to calculate the positions of the grains.
>
> I'd say that he probably used Voroi++
> http://math.lbl.gov/voro++/examples/
>
> which from the download page, says that the output can be used in POV-Ray
> http://math.lbl.gov/voro++/download/
>
> What would be nice would be a way to shell out to Voroi++ to generate the data
> for a scene and then render it.
>
> I just don't know how to do that ([like many things] yet).

It is not really that difficult. At least it wasn't in Ver 3.5. When I
last used the function. You write a text file in PovRay with the
variables you need and get the 3rd party software to export the results
of the calculations to a text file that PovRay can read.
Yes this would be an animation even if it is only two frames or a frame
per layer.

I ask myself if something this complex is appropriate for a first year
engineering course.  But then my first year at university detailed
thermionic valves and ne'er a mention of semiconductors. :) So things
might have changed.

--

Regards
     Stephen