POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stacking stones without overlapping : Re: Stacking stones without overlapping Server Time
2 May 2024 04:50:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacking stones without overlapping
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Jun 2017 03:35:41
Message: <59438a4d$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/16/2017 7:57 AM, Ari wrote:
> By the way, the thread URL is

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.4d97bab0dc7be259e5cacc00%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=360023

I read the thread and if I understood it*. Sam used an external program,
he developed himself, to calculate the positions of the grains.
So, in my opinion, unless using a third party program like bullet
physics or Blender is acceptable. Then it would be very difficult to get
the quality of Sam's image. But since you are a first year engineering
student. It might be acceptable to use tools in addition to PovRay.

*

I am no mathematician.

It raises an interesting philosophical question.

Were you given that image and told to reproduce it or did you pick it
yourself?
Does the person who gave you the problem have a solution?
And in an engineering frame. What tolerances do you need to work to?

I said that I was no mathematician and that is two questions. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen