POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : compile error on Raspbian: Boost Thread library version not found : Re: compile error on Raspbian: Boost Thread library version not found Server Time
18 Apr 2024 21:02:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: compile error on Raspbian: Boost Thread library version not found
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 13 Jun 2017 12:06:34
Message: <59400d8a$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/13/2017 08:41 AM, Nerdifant wrote:
> "MadKairon" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>> usually (well, with modern boost library), you might need to add
>>> LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread" to the parameters of config

>> Tried adding those parameters to the config but did not work. No one has
>> compiled it with the modern boost nor latest versions of automake. Master Branch
>> solves the atomake problems tho.
>

> Tryin' to configure the compilation on raspberrypi (raspbian)
> Same error:
>
> Command
>
> pi@raspberrypi:~/povray $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/opt/povray
> COMPILED_BY="MCL"  LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread"

> Libraries
> ---------
> checking whether to link with cygwin DLL... no
> checking whether to enable static linking... no
> checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
> checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no
> checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no
> checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... yes
> checking for joinable pthread attribute... PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE
> checking if more special flags are required for pthreads... no
> checking for boostlib >= 1.37... yes
> checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
> configure: error: Could not find a version of the library!
>
> Any tips to solve this issue ?
>

> Thx !

Could you perhaps try adding an explicit pointer to the installed boost
library on the ./configure command? For me on Ubuntu this looks
something like:

./configure ... --with-boost-libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

on the Raspberry Pi the boost location will likely be different.

If you go to your <povrayRoot>/unix/config you should find a sym link
back to the automake config.guess script. Try to run it via
./config.guess and see what it returns.

If nothing reasonable, perhaps this the core issue on your set up.
Otherwise, see if the boost library is located in something like:

/usr/lib/<config.guess's return string>

you can use:

ls /usr/lib/<config.guess'a return string>/libboost*

to verify the archive (.a) and shared library (.so) boost files are there.

Aside 1 : Looks like our --with-boost[=ARG] build option isn't properly
set up and somewhat redundant by description with --with-boost-libdir.

Aside 2 : Curious, are any of you Pi folks looking at Pi clusters?

Bill P.