POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : London under siege, a reply : Re: London under siege, a reply Server Time
28 Sep 2024 07:36:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: London under siege, a reply
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Jun 2017 01:39:44
Message: <593b8620$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 21:46:22 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 6/9/2017 8:48 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Well, we certainly hope so.  Don't get me started on people who use the
>> term "snowflake" (I hate that f-ing term) and then can't take
>> criticism.
>
> It seems pointless to me.

Yeah, it is pointless.  There's a false story about the origin being a
term used by Nazis in WWII, but at least in the US, it actually was
applied to anti-abolitionists during the US civil war.

So it's kinda ironic that the party that often represents "the
south" (and as such represents "states rights" folks who would've stood
*for* the continuation of slavery) tend to really like to use it.

But the thing that annoys me the most about it is just how derisive and
pejorative it is in common usage - and how people on both sides of the
conversation tend to use it to dismiss an opposing point of view.

You have folks on the right who deride liberals who want "safe spaces"
and "trigger warnings", and then who turn around and whine and moan about
how they're being treated "unfairly".  More than happy to tell people who
they think are crybabies to grow up, but then engage in the same
behaviours they accuse the other side of using.

And it happens both ways.  It's not productive or useful.

> OH! I am so hurt I will melt.
> Grow up or pick yourself up (off the ground).
> GTF :)
>
> Carebears is another one.

Indeed.

Jim