POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : df3 clouds : Re: df3 clouds Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:49:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: df3 clouds
From: clipka
Date: 9 Jun 2017 11:58:06
Message: <593ac58e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.06.2017 um 16:18 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> Pretty interesting renderings of storm data using a modified version of POV-Ray.
>
> https://nnc3.com/mags/LJ_1994-2014/LJ/127/7486.html
>
> https://nnc3.com/mags/LJ_1994-2014/LJ/127/7754.html
>

> Now those are some clouds!

Anyone volunteering to port Suzuki's floating-point density files patch
to POV-Ray 3.7 would be welcome.

I currently don't have the time to implement it myself, but would do my
best to find the time to merge such a patch into official POV-Ray.

Caveat: I haven't looked at the file format yet, but if it's binary like
DF3, then care must be taken to make the code portable, so that it works
even on machines that don't use the standard IEEE single-precision
floating-point format, and/or use a different byte ordering for such
data. (IIRC there already exists an official mechanisms to convert
to/from IEEE format in the POVMS module, which could be co-opted for the
floating-point density files.)