POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : London under siege, a reply : Re: London under siege, a reply Server Time
26 Jun 2024 13:10:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: London under siege, a reply
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Jun 2017 11:27:01
Message: <59396cc5$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 08:01:33 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 6/7/2017 11:19 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 23:07:30 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> When we had a school massacre in Dunblane. Our politicians tightened
>>> up our gun laws. But I understand that would be political suicide in
>>> the states. So it won't be done unless the unthinkable happens.
>>
>> The unthinkable has happened here in the US.  Several times.  The
>> answer is always "more guns".  Ridiculous.
>>

> The right to bear arm is a god given comma. So anyone who criticise it
> is criticising God.

Indeed.  We all know Jesus signed the US Constitution, after all. m-/

>> But let it be an "Islamic Terrorist," and we're willing to give away
>> ALL of our freedoms.  How much money did we waste over here on those
>> damn backscatter X-Ray machines?  Billions.
>
> We use millimetre wave scanners. Too many X-Rays can give you cancer.
> [FYI]

Yeah.  mm wave scanners were also in use, IIRC.  Last time I was there?
A dog at the head of the line that everyone walked past, and the
magentometer.  Shoes on, laptop in my bag, no wait, no fuss - and more
accurate.

>> Know what?  They replaced them recently - with dogs.  The dogs were
>> shown to be more effective.  Last time I flew somewhere (last year), I
>> had to put my shoes *BACK ON* and put my laptop back in my bag because
>> the dogs were that much more effective.  I held up the line because I'd
>> followed the old nonsensical procedures.
>>

> It is hard to keep up with the rule changes.

Yup.

>> Seems we could've figured that shit out 15 years ago and saved a ton of
>> money.
>>

> Again you have got to be seen doing something. And spending money is
> doing something.

Wasting money.  But then, we want to cut funding for things like the arts
and general welfare - not corporate welfare, but just for those lazy
bastards who haven't got a job.

> Cynical, moi?

You'd fit right in here. :)

>> But hey, now it sounds like because of the threat of possible exploding
>> laptops from certain countries, they'll probably have to be checked for
>> most international flights.  Because in the hold is so much safer.
>
> Is that so it is safer? I don't understand the rational.

I don't either.

>> Along with a planeload of bored passengers because they don't have
>> their laptops or tablets, and didn't think to bring a book or six.
>
> But they are going to put WiFi on planes. People than then twitter they
> are bored the whole journey. ;)

From their phones, and you get to pay for the WiFi.  Many airlines have
started depending on people bringing laptops and tablets for in-flight
entertainment, too - the options are now on the in-flight WiFi using an
app or a laptop's web browser.  Which, of course, may end up being in the
hold, even (I read recently) for domestic flights in the US.

>> And, of course, we have the privilege of paying the airlines to check
>> our electronics now, too.  Hurray, capitalism. <grump>
>>

> Away to #@!k :)

Makes me glad I don't travel a lot these days, and when I do, it's
usually by train to Vancouver.

Jim