POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Uh-oh : Re: Uh-oh Server Time
25 Jun 2024 23:57:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Uh-oh
From: Stephen
Date: 8 Jun 2017 01:57:55
Message: <5938e763$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/8/2017 1:06 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> The parts came in yesterday.
>
> The computer does not recognize the Genuine Dell power cord.  I need to
> figure out what's going on here.  This third world rock I live on had 5
> (not a typo) power outages this morning, and my battery is down to 38%.

My best advice now would be to contact Dell.
Good luck with that from what I've heard about them. (Mostly from Andrew
when he was his companies IT rep.)
I believe you about the outages. :(

As for "third world rocks". I tried to access this site:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiT0qSjsq3UAhXiAsAKHdaVDvMQFghJMAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wihatools.com%2Finsulated-tools%2Fscrewdrivers%2Fterminal-block&usg=AFQjCNGsHec43_6uI7IVZDvta5zq4XMJWA&sig2=0wn5oN6InKirjBccKRgdKQ

And got this message:
We have redirected you
Based on the IP address that visited www.wihatools.com

We only ship to the Continental United States and Hawaii

Would this apply to you?

Just had a thought. Could your line voltage be low. (A shot in the dark.)
Could you plug it into another outlet in a different building?

> On 2017-06-05 10:33 AM (-4), Stephen wrote:
>> The next bit of advice will have people screaming. I always use a  1/8"
>> terminal screwdriver instead of a Phillips or crosshead screwdriver.
>> Because if Dell use propriety screws you will strip/round the head if
>> you don't have the right type. (Speaking from long experience on this.)
>
> One of the screw heads was already stripped, and another screw is in so
> tight I'm afraid I'd strip it if I try to loosen it.  And most of the
> advice on the Web for dislodging stuck Phillips head screws looks like
> it would destroy my computer.

A lot of companies secure their screws with something like loctite.
Supposedly to stop them vibrating loose. But since they are self tappers
it must be for anti tamper reasons. You need to break the bond. So apply
a strong downward pressure as you rotate the screwdriver. Making sure
that the screwdriver does not deviate from the vertical. It loosens with
a loud crack.

But see what Dell says first.

> What exactly is a terminal screwdriver?  I see them for sale on the Web,
> but I can't find a definition.

Nor can I, it must be obvious. I guess that it is a screwdriver for
working on industrial terminal blocks. That is when I first came across
the term.

> I find myself late at night poring over renders from years past.  I miss
> POV-Ray!

I think we all sympathise. It is a major addiction.

--

Regards
     Stephen